I have written 20 books, hundreds of articles (for a wide variety of mainstream and specialist publications) and copious content copy for websites. For ten years I worked in marketing writing advertising copy, press releases, trade sales letters and so on. Get in touch if you need a writer for your project. See also the page on publishing for more information about my work as an editor.
- Voices from a disused quarry – an oral history of the Centre for Alternative Technology, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2015.
- The Home Energy Handbook: A guide to saving and generating energy in your home and community, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2012
- Green and Easy, Harper Collins, 2009.
Shortlisted, Garden Media Guild Inspirational Book of The Year Award 2009.
- The Little Book of Compost, Harper Collins, 2008.
Published in English, French, Spanish and Finnish.
- The Organic Garden, Harper Collins, 2007.
Selected as ‘Book of the Year’ by Elspeth Thompson in the Sunday Telegraph: “Touchingly personal in style, and bursting with humour and integrity.”
“This is no ordinary gardening book. Allan Shepherd’s books are always a joy… the lyrical inspiration goes hand in hand with the practical detail. Compulsive reading.” Organic Gardening magazine
- The Little Book of Garden Villains, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2006
- Curious Incidents in the Garden at Night-time, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2005.
“A book at bedtime for anyone with a passion for gardening.” Alan Titchmarsh
“This is a magical book. It rewrites the rules on everything, not least on how to write books. I love this book.” Gaby Bartai Bevan, Organic Gardening Magazine
- 52 Weeks to Change Your World, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2004.
- The Little Book of Garden Heroes, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2004.
“Written in the most fun and entertaining way imaginable, this book goes into great (hilarious) detail about the different types of pests you are likely to find in your garden and how to deal with them.” Jenny Steele, author
- How to Make Soil and Save Earth, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2003
- The Little Book of Slugs, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2002
- Careers Working Outdoors, Kogan Page, 2002
Careers Working with Animals, Kogan Page, 2001
- The Sustainable Careers Handbook, Centre for Alternative Technology, 2000
- Careers and Courses in Sustainable Technologies, Centre for Alternative Technology, 1995
- Oral History – Voices from a Disused Quarry: change making, class dynamics and technological experimentation at the Centre for Alternative Technology, 2015. Pre-published word version of peer-reviewed academic paper. Published version available from the Oral History Society.
- Garden News – 26 articles as organic gardening columnist, 2009. Shortlisted for the Garden Media Guild Columnist of the Year Award, 2009.
- The Guardian (slugs, New Years resolutions, Lawrence Hills), The Express, The Garden, Amateur Gardening, The Geographical, Clean Slate – the journal of the Centre for Alternative Technology, Country Smallholding – over 50 articles combined, 1997–2015.